I have to make this brief because I am leaving for the airport to come home in ten minutes! Also German keyboards take some getting used to.
I have spent five nights in Berlin and loved (almost) every minute. The almost is because I sprained my ankle the other day, so that was a minute or two I didn't love... The day after I got here was May 1, and there was a huge festival - the streets packed with people, polititcal demonstrations but also just a big party. There were about 7 music stages ranging from German rap to Turkish music to Janis Joplin covers. It lasted all night and was very chaotic by the time I left at with a lot of waiting police officers. EDIT: I found out later that over 200 people were arrested that night, and it ended up being one of the most violent May Days in years. I went back to the hostel around 11pm, so I guess I left just in time!
I spent a lot of time riding the U bahn around the city to see everything there is to see, which is a lot - Berlin is full of history and art and subcultures. Other highlights of my time here include an amazing botanic garden and a gay bar with pink fake fur all over the walls!
Ok, have to run for now, but I will make some nice reflective wrap up comments from Seattle - and put up pictures!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment